William C. Motley joined Newmark Knight Frank in 2015 and serves as an executive managing director in the Boston office, where he specializes in the representation of tenants in lease and sale transactions. Mr. Motley has more than 27 years of real estate experience as a downtown commercial broker and has negotiated approximately 7 million square feet of lease transactions in Downtown Boston.
Prior to NKF, Mr. Motley served as an executive director in Cushman & Wakefield’s Boston office. As an exclusive tenant representative, he assisted many Boston-based and international firms with the implementation of their real estate strategies, principally in the Financial District, Seaport and Back Bay. Mr. Motley previously worked for 15 years at Jones Lang LaSalle.
PARTIAL LIST OF SIGNIFICANT TRANSACTIONS:
- Deloitte: Served as one of three managers of the client’s U.S. real estate portfolio, totaling approximately 10 million SF
- BNY Mellon: Assisted the bank with several expansions, dispositions and renewals of real estate, most recently its lease renewal for 362,000 SF at One Boston Place
- Eaton Vance: Oversaw the selection of its 310,000 SF facility at Two International Place, as well as numerous expansions and dispositions totaling 137,000 square feet (named Downtown Lease Transaction of the Year by the Commercial Brokers Association)
- Wells Fargo: Assisted with its consolidation of six offices totaling 257,000 SF into approximately 160,000 SF at 125 High Street in Boston’s Financial District
- Marsh & McLennan: Oversaw the strategic development and implementation of its 108,000 SF relocation to 99 High Street in Boston’s Financial District
- Holland & Knight: Successfully renegotiated a new lease totaling 105,000 SF at 10 St. James Avenue in Boston’s Back Bay, which reduced the tenant’s immediate occupancy cost by $3.4 million
- UBS: Assisted in the search and eventual renewal at One Post Office Square in downtown Boston for approximately 55,000 square feet
- General Investment & Development: Oversaw the review of purchase and lease opportunities in metro Boston, analysis of negotiations and due diligence of base building conditions and construction of this tenant’s 45,000 SF requirement at 125 High Street in Boston
- ¨ Leerink, Swann & Co., Inc.: Assisted in the tenant’s search for new downtown headquarters, culminating in the successful negotiation of two leases totaling 45,000 SF at One Federal Street
- ¨ Finnegan, Henderson, Farrabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP: Represented this AM 100 law firm throughout its real estate search in downtown Boston, resulting in a lease for 33,000 SF at 155 Seaport Lane
- ¨ Financial Engines: Assisted with its consolidation of multiple locations into 33,000 square feet at 28 State Street
- ¨ Standard Life Investments: Reduced the tenant’s existing obligation on the 34th floor of One Beacon Street by more than 41% and structured a new 10-year commitment with generous amounts of free rent and tenant improvement dollars for approximately 30,000 SF
- John Hancock/Manulife Financial: Presently representing this tenant for approximately 25,000 SF in Boston’s Central Business District
A director with the Commercial Brokers Association (CBA) from 2010 to 2011, Mr. Motley received that organization’s 2004 and 2006 awards for Downtown Lease Transaction of the Year in Downtown Boston; he was also nominated in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011. Mr. Motley is currently a director and former president of the Union Boat Club and a current member of the Greater Boston Real Estate Board (GBREB). He is a licensed real estate broker in the commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Mr. Motley received a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from Denison University.