Dr. Troy Nash serves as a managing director and director of public sector consulting with Newmark Grubb Zimmer. A highly regarded expert in real estate and economic development, Dr. Nash has structured scores of successful public/private partnerships marrying federal, state and local public sector programs and incentives to real estate and economic development projects. He has a unique understanding of economic analysis, complex commercial and residential real estate finance, business retention and expansion programs, and public policy development and application. Dr. Nash is also an expert in the use of Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) and finance and the use of Tax Increment Financing (TIF) to leverage private sector investment. His experience advising both public and private-sector clients (cities, counties, states, healthcare providers, educational institutions, private institutions and nonprofits) also enables him to produce high-level economic real estate transactions, customized demographic analysis, target and industry cluster studies, economic impact analysis, and strategic and comprehensive planning updates. In 2014, Dr. Nash became the first African-American principal/shareholder in a top ten commercial real estate firm in the history of the state of Missouri.
Having traveled to nearly 40 countries, Dr. Nash is known for identifying the connections between separate and distinct international, national, regional and local trends and their influence on economic development and job creation. Moreover, Dr. Nash is able to communicate these connections in a manner that offers clients a clear pathway to achievable strategies and results. Dr. Nash’s knowledge, coupled with Newmark Grubb Zimmer’s methodology, global focus and experience combines economic development strategies and real estate management approaches in a way that meets client demands for defensible and applicable quantitative data; a deep understanding of new and emerging trends; the ability to respond with high tactical return on investment solutions; and strategies focusing on addressing business needs with an emphasis on implementation.
Dr. Nash joined the private sector with Newmark Grubb Zimmer in 2007. He previously served on the city council of Kansas City, Missouri, where he represented nearly 475,000 citizens. Dr. Nash, who is also a veteran of the United States Air Force, was first elected to the city council in 1999, when he was 29 years old. As chairman of the influential Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee, Dr. Nash presided over the largest economic development boom in the city’s history, directly impacting more than $6 billion of public and private residential (workforce, low-income and market-rate housing), retail, office, entertainment, and mixed-use and industrial development. As vice chairman of the Budget & Audit Committee, Dr. Nash had direct oversight for the city’s more than $1 billion budget and audit functions. Dr. Nash also served as a member of the Neighborhood & Community Development Committee, with jurisdiction over all HUD funding and grants. Prior to his election, Dr. Nash worked as special assistant to Mayor Emanuel Cleaver II and in the Office of the City Council.
- Defying the Odds Alumni Award, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 2017
- 2015 Real Estate Hall of Fame Inductee, Midwest Real Estate News, 2016
- 100 Most Influential Kansas Citians, Kansas City Globe, 2015
- Unsung Hero award, Ford Motor Company, 2015
- 50 Missourians You Should Know, Ingram’s Magazine, 2015
- Helping Hand Award, No Excuses Conference, 2015
- NextGen Leaders, Kansas City Business Journal, 2014
- Who’s Who in Black Kansas City, 2013
- Board of Directors Outstanding Leadership Award, People to People International, 2006
- Ambassador-at-large, People-to-People International, 2006
- Forty under 40, Ingram’s Magazine, 2001
- White House Presidential Selection Awards Committee, 2000
- Board member, KU Advancement Board of Directors, 2016 - present
- Commissioner, Tax Increment Financing Commission for the City of Kansas City, Missouri, 2014 - present
- Regional board member, Arvest Bank, 2013 - present
- Hawthorn Foundation, 2011 - present
- Board of directors, People to People International, 1998 - present
- Commissioner and vice chairman, Missouri Housing Development Commission (MHDC), 2008 - 2017
- Executive cabinet member, United Way Greater Kansas City, 2016
- Member, Missouri Tax Credit Review Commission, 2010 - 2016
Dr. Nash holds a Doctorate in Education degree from Saint Louis University; a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law; a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Missouri Bloch School of Management; master’s degrees in both economics and political science from the University of Missouri-Kansas City; and a bachelor’s degree in economics from Wesley College.