Steve Biegel joined Newmark Knight Frank in 2017 as executive managing director in the firm’s Houston, Texas, office, where he specializes in office tenant representation. An attorney turned real estate broker, Mr. Biegel has a combined 36 years of legal and brokerage experience that has spanned multiple cycles of Houston’s boom-and-bust real estate market. Consequently, Mr. Biegel is adept not only at the structuring, negotiation and closing of complex real estate transactions but also at complicated restructurings, refinancings, workouts and foreclosures. Mr. Biegel has completed transactions in excess of 18 million square feet.
Prior to Newmark Knight Frank, Mr. Biegel served as executive vice president and co-branch manager of Savills Studley’s Houston office. In this role, he focused on representing office tenants, particularly law firms. Throughout his tenure with Savills Studley, Mr. Biegel was a member of the firm’s Law Firm Practice Group, which he chaired for several years.
Mr. Biegel launched his career in real estate brokerage at Trione & Gordon in 1998, after 17 years as an attorney with Andrews & Kurth LP (now Andrews Kurth Kenyon LLP). During his tenure at the Houston-based law firm, he advised tenants and landlords on complex lease transactions in the city and throughout the U.S. He also represented developers, investors and institutional lenders in all aspects of commercial real estate acquisition, development, financing and disposition and worked on numerous master limited partnerships, REITs and other financial market transactions.
- Heavy Hitter, Houston Business Journal, multiple years
- MVP, Houston Business Journal, 2003
- Office Broker of the Year Finalist, NAIOP, 2003
- Outstanding Contribution by an Individual, Houston Bar Foundation, 2006
- Life fellow, Texas and Houston Bar Foundations
- Chair, Houston Office Leasing Brokers Association, 2001 - 2002
- Chair, Real Estate Law Section, Houston Bar Association, 1998 - 1999
- Board of directors and facilities and development committees, Covenant House Texas
- Board of directors, executive committee and chair, audit and finance committee, Lone Star Flight Museum
- Board of directors, Gathering of Men Texas, A 2nd Cup and Avalon Property Owners Association
- Advisory board of directors, BBVA Compass Houston Region
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church/The Story Houston
Mr. Biegel attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he earned his Juris Doctor degree with honors and a Bachelor of Business Administration degree with majors in finance and real estate.