Stephen E. Perkins, senior managing director, is an expert in the Washington DC regional office market with more than 35 years of commercial real estate expertise. He focuses on tenant representation as well as select agency leasing assignments and has completed several complex joint ventures and investment sales during his career.
Prior to joining Newmark Knight Frank, Mr. Perkins was a senior vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle from 2001 through 2013. In his previous role, Mr. Perkins was senior vice president with Transwestern Carey Winston and in 1999 was recognized as their top producer in the country.
From 1993 through 1997, Mr. Perkins was the managing director of Virginia Leasing for Faison & Associates, Inc., where he specialized in the leasing of over two million square feet of Class A office properties and handled the TIAA/CREF’s Virginia portfolio of 1.1 million square feet. Prior to that, between 1986 and 1993, Mr. Perkins served as a principal for The Hunter Company, where he was responsible for building and running their Virginia office. He began his career in 1979 with Blake Construction where he was responsible for leasing their private portfolio in Washington DC.
Mr. Perkins has led lease negotiations for numerous corporate clients, including New York Life, US Sprint Communications, BAE Systems, United Airlines, and most recently Virginia Tech Foundation, totaling more than one million square feet. In addition, he has joint ventured or sold more than $1 billion of investment properties and land throughout his career.
Recent Tenant Assignments:
- IAP: Currently short-term space requirement, and anticipated future requirement of 60-75,000 square feet.
- Virginia Tech Foundation: D.C. regional search to consolidate five (5) research centers in Northern Virginia. A 145,000-square-foot build-to-suit for sale was recently completed with JBG for a site in Ballston, VA.
- BAE Systems: Multiple transactions totaling more than 225,000 square feet of leases, coterminous with BAE’s headquarters term.
- J.J. McMullen, Inc.: Acquired expansion space in southeast D.C. as well as Crystal City, VA totaling more than 196,000 square feet.
- Teligent Corp.: Represented Teligent for 120,000 square feet including its headquarters lease renewal and switch sites in Chicago, New York City and Boston.
- GTSI Corp.: Executed more than 120,000 square feet of transactions in Chantilly, Virginia. Below market economics and coterminous expirations yielded lower occupancy costs and long term flexibility for GTSI.
- U.S. Sprint: Secured 275,000 square feet in two locations, in complex transactions which were contingent upon contact award from a government agency.
- Ernst & Young: 44,000-square-foot renewal for its Transactions practice in Northern Virginia Including securing prominent building signage as part of the negotiations.
Recent Landlord Assignments:
- Florida Rock Properties, S.W. Washington DC: Negotiated a joint venture between Florida Rock Properties and MRP Realty to develop a 1,200,000 square feet mixed use project adjacent to the Nationals baseball stadium. (see www.capitolriverfront.org/go/florida-rock)
- LaSalle Investment Management and The Carlyle Group, Chantilly, Virginia: Represented Carlyle on the land purchase and subsequent sale of Mission Ridge I & II, a 312,000-square-foot speculative development in Westfield’s Corporate Center. The project was sold to Pitcairin Properties for a record price in August 2007, subsequently sold to LaSalle Investment Management, and is currently 92% leased.
- DB RREEF, Loudoun County, Virginia: Assisted with project underwriting and approval from DB RREEF investment for a 220,000-square-foot LEED Gold Certified speculative office development.
- Commonfund, Alexandria, Virginia: 300,000 square feet of trophy speculative office development, now fully leased.
- PS Business Parks, Merrifield, Virginia: Responsible for leasing and managing a seven (7) building office park consisting of 658,000 square feet and underwrote the sale to a third party investor.
- TIAA-CREF, Bethesda, Maryland: Led the team in pitching the leasing and management of the Air Rights Center, a 785,000-square-foot office complex in the central business district of Bethesda.
- TIAA-CREF, Vienna, Virginia: Represented TIAA-CREF in the leasing of a trophy development, Fairfax Square, in Tyson’s Corner, VA. The three (3) building complex contained 472,000 square feet and is considered a landmark in Northern Virginia.
- Glenborough REIT, Arlington, Virginia: Responsible for securing the agency leasing on three (3) office buildings totaling 500,000 square feet.
- J.P. Morgan, Sterling, Virginia: Represented the land owner of a 100 acre park and secured J.P. Morgan as the equity to develop a 450,000-square-foot office/industrial park adjacent to Dulles airport. This location, TransDulles Center, was chosen by United Airlines for a 126,000-square-foot build-to-suit Reservation Center.
Mr. Perkins received his Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Ohio Wesleyan University. He is a member of the Washington, DC Association of Realtors, The Real Estate Group and NAIOP. Mr. Perkins was named one of the top ten leasing producers in Northern Virginia by the Washington Board of Realtors from 1999 to 2006.