John McCarthy is a Senior Managing Director of Newmark Knight Frank’s Minneapolis office. Mr. McCarthy is a highly reputable tenant representation office and investment property sales specialist. He has completed over 4,000 commercial real estate transactions involving more than 50 million square feet throughout his career and has been paramount in a diverse variety of commercial acquisition and disposition projects.
Prior to joining NKF in 2017, Mr. McCarthy was an Executive Director of office properties at Cushman & Wakefield, where he ranked among the highest producers in the brokerage division every year from 1996 to 2016. His industry experience also includes the Shelard Group in Eden Prairie, where he specialized in the management of institutionally owned suburban office buildings.
Mr. McCarthy also is widely known for his work with Opportunity Zones throughout the Twin Cities and United States. He helps to connect investors with tax gains with real estate investors who have properties located in Opportunity Zones. Mr. McCarthy has helped facilitate some of the first Opportunity Zone projects in the Twin Cities and serves as an advisor and educator to investors, developers and current owners of Opportunity Zone properties.
Opportunity Zone Recent Projects
- Robbinsdale Apartment Project and Grocery Store in St. Paul, MN
- Former Thunderbird Site in Bloomington, MN
- Kelley Farm located east of the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN
- Shamrock Village and Mobile Home Park in Eugene, OR
- 1222 University Avenue – Redevelopment
Partial Client List
- Charles Schwab
- Edina Realty
- Garden Homes
- Minnesota Vikings
- United Properties
- Willis North America Inc.
- Bloomington Port Authority
- Viking Lakes (New home for the Minnesota Vikings) – 200 acres
- Imation Corporate Campus (Sold to Slumberland) – 550,000 SF
- ADC Corporate Campus – 475,000 SF (Sold to UnitedHealth Care)
- Broker of the Year, Minnesota Commercial Association of Realtors (MNCAR), 2011
- Transaction of the Year for ADC Corporate Campus, 2011
- Offshore Club recipient, (Top 20% Producing Broker), 1995 – present
- Member, NAIOP
- Former member, board of directors, Minnesota Commercial Property Exchange
- Former board of directors, Real Financial Center
- Past president, Minnesota Commercial Association of Realtors (MNCAR)
Personal Achievements and Affiliations
- FAA-certified drone pilot
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentor Program (10 years)
- St. Cloud State University Alumni Association
- NAIOP, MNCAR