James D. Kuhn has been a principal of Newmark Knight Frank and president since joining the firm in 1992. Today he serves as president and head of investor services. With more than 14,000 employees worldwide, Newmark Knight Frank and its partner Knight Frank operate from more than 400 global offices, including 119 locations in the United States and offices throughout Canada, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Africa and the Middle East. With the firm’s merger with BGC Partners in 2011, BGC’s acquisition of the assets of Grubb & Ellis Company in 2012 and the acquisition of Cornish & Carey and ARA in 2014, the firm has reinforced its capital markets platform with real estate investment banking and debt and equity capabilities. Its acquisition of ARA, the largest national multifamily practice, offers clients the deepest and most diversified services in the real estate industry. Mr. Kuhn joined Newmark Knight Frank after 15 years in partnership with Bernard Mendik as owner/manager, where he acquired 11 million square feet of office space and 6,000 apartments; the company was sold to Vornado in 1997.
Memberships and Appointments
- Vice Chairman, Board of Trustees of Syracuse University and its Executive Committee
- Chairman, Advisory Council of the Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University
- Chairman, Advisory Board of New York University Schack Institute of Real Estate
- Member, Board of Trustees and Board of Directors, National Jewish Medical and Research Center
- Member, Board of Governors of Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY)
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center
- James D. Kuhn Real Estate Center at the Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University
- The James and Marjorie Kuhn Program to Foster Diversity in Real Estate at the NYU Schack Institute of Real Estate
- Funded Syracuse University School of Visual and Performing Arts’ Student Film Fund
- Leo J. Kuhn Lobby for the School of Architecture at Pratt Institute
- James Kuhn Fund for Fencing at Stuyvesant High School
- Grant to NYU Langone Medical Center
- James Kuhn Fund for Underprivileged Children for the San Antonio Fencing Club
In 1994, Mr. Kuhn received the National Jewish Humanitarian Award and was guest of honor at the Real Estate & Construction Industries’ annual Winter’s Eve Ball, which benefited the National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine.
Mr. Kuhn received the NYU Real Estate Service Award of the Year in 1984 and the Young Man of the Year award presented by the Real Estate Board of New York in 1985.
Mr. Kuhn graduated from Stuyvesant High School in 1965. He was captain of the fencing team, second place finisher in the tri-state championship, and member of the 1964 City Championship team. Mr. Kuhn went on to fence at Syracuse University, winning tri-state championships in 1968 and finishing 12th in the country. Mr. Kuhn, after a 25-year absence, returned to fence in the veterans division, where he ranked seventh in the country by the time he retired in 2001.
In 2011, he received a Letter Winner of Distinction Award from Syracuse University for his achievement as a student-athlete in fencing.
Mr. Kuhn holds both a B.B.A. in Finance and an M.B.A. in Real Estate from Syracuse University. He endowed its new business school with the dean’s office and established the Leo and Sunnie Kuhn Scholarship for Entrepreneurial Studies in the Syracuse University Whitman School of Management.