CA Appraiser License #AG028735
Bryan Younge, MAI, ASA, FRICS, is an executive vice president and national practice leader of the Hospitality, Gaming and Leisure group for Newmark Knight Frank’s Valuation & Advisory practice. In his role as national practice leader, Mr. Younge oversees a national team of experienced professionals focused on hotel and resort valuation and consulting.
With a career that spans more than 20 years, Mr. Younge has completed appraisal, financial reporting and consulting assignments locally, regionally and globally for a wide range of property types, including resorts, hotels, stadiums, golf courses, amusement parks, office buildings, industrial facilities, shopping centers, multifamily housing and land. Mr. Younge has also provided litigation support related to bankruptcy, special servicing, condemnation, estate planning, receivership and other court-administered issues.
Prior to NKF, Mr. Younge served in a similar capacity with Colliers International Valuation & Advisory, where he was managing director and national practice leader of the Hospitality and Leisure specialty group. He joined Colliers after nearly 13 years at Cushman & Wakefield, where he was the national practice leader of the Sports and Entertainment Group and a senior member of the Hospitality and Gaming Group.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Younge performed high-profile hospitality real estate and leisure valuation assignments as a senior consultant with the Valuation Services group of Arthur Andersen/Deloitte & Touche in Chicago and with the Hospitality and Leisure Consulting group of PricewaterhouseCoopers in Los Angeles.
Mr. Younge began his valuation career in 1998, performing appraisals of hotels and casinos in San Francisco and Boulder as a senior consultant with HVS International. He also served as an interim acquisition, development and investment analyst for Sage Hospitality Resources in Denver.
- Member, Cornell Hotel Society
- Member, Cornell International Hotelier Association
- Member, National Ski Areas Association (NSAA)
- Associate member, Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Member, American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- Designated member, Appraisal Institute (MAI)
- Fellow, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
- Certified general real estate appraiser, including (but likely not limited to) states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA:
- “Valuing Hotels: The Competitive Quotient And The Art Component,” Forbes, January 2017
- “Hoteliers are Getting Creative to Monetize Their Meeting Space,” Bisnow, March 2017
- “Space Utility Index (SUI): How to Know if a Hotel is Making the Most of its Meeting Space,” Mogul, February 2017
- “Hospitality Leader Shares His Outlook for the Transactions Market,” Hotel Management Magazine, June 2016
- “Select-Service Hotels Continue to Drive Transactions Market,” Hotel Management Magazine, May 2017
- “Airbnb is Increasing Its Efforts to Up Tax Revenue Collection for Local Municipalities,” Bisnow, January 2017
- “How Looming Regulatory Hurdles Could Affect Airbnb’s Profits and $30B Valuation,” Bisnow, August 2016
- “Sharing Economy Contributes to REITs’ Lackluster Results,” Hotel Management Magazine, August 2016
- “Experts Note Sluggish Hotel Growth, Downtick in International Travel Following Brexit Vote,” Bisnow, August 2016
- “Hoteliers to Raise Tech, Service Offerings to Remain Competitive This Year,” Bisnow, February 2016
- “Valuing Land In Dispute Resolution: Using Coefficient Of Variation To Determine Unit Of Measure,” ASA Real Property E-Journal 8th Edition, April 29, 2015
- “Sportsplexes, Hospitality and Critical Mass: Investors of sportsplexes count on hotels for successful real-estate venture-going formulae,” Hotel News Resource, January 28, 2014
- “Rebuilding Value: Hotel Investors and Operators are Shifting Attitudes from Value Preservation to Value Enhancement,” Hotel-Online, July 2010
- Panelist and Speaker of General Session, “What is Your Hotel Worth Today?” Midwest Lodging Investment Summit; Chicago, Illinois; June 2009
- “Hotel Transactions: Investors are Feeling the Heat at the Prospect of a Lodging Economy Turnaround,” Hotel-Online, June 2009
- “The Role of Brands in the War of Survival,” Hotel-Online, May 2009
- “Chicago’s Hotel Sales Lead U.S. in Hottest Market for Investors,” Bloomberg, February 2006
- “Hotel Investing: Deal Seekers See the Light at the End of a Long and Familiar Tunnel,” Hotel-Online, April 2003
- “Historic Redevelopment: Not Just Beneficial for its Creators,” Lodging Real Estate Magazine, November 2000
- “Convention Centers: More than a Matter of Civic Pride,” Hospitality Leader, November 2000
- “Feature Cover Article: Renovating Historic Hotels,” Hotel News Resource, December 2000
- Fundraiser, Sarcoma Foundation of America, 2016
- Fundraiser, Children’s Cardiomyopathy Foundation, 2014
- Fundraiser, Wounded Warrior Project, 2013
- Food stocker, Crystal Lake Food Pantry, 2011 - Present
Mr. Younge earned a Master of Business Administration degree in finance and real estate law from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management and a Bachelor of Science degree in hotel real estate finance from Cornell University. As an undergraduate, he appeared on the National Dean’s List and was a member of the National Honors Society. He also completed the Corporate Finance Summer Program at the University of California, Berkeley. More recently, Mr. Younge completed continuing education programs on commercial property valuation sponsored by the Appraisal Institute and other sanctioned learning institutions.